Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Christmas #1 Outfit

For Christmas Eve----which is when my family opens ALL our presents, much to the chagrin of my husband----I wore a Gap/Loft combo.

Brown tweed shorts (Gap)
Brown ribbed tights (Gap)
Berry sleeveless ruffle shell (Loft)
V-neck purple cashmere sweater (Loft)
Pearl cluster necklace (WetSeal)
(Not pictured) Peeptoe truffle ruffle booties (Piperlime)



I think this outfit pretty much sums up my current relationship with clothing, in that, I don't haven't quite grasped the concept of "fit." Or how to dress my body in a way that truly flatters.

I really like the collar in this outfit, with the pearls and the ruffle and the v-neck. Well played. But then, um, comes the baggy sweater and the wrinkled shell popping out underneath it. Which kind of throws off the whole outfit for me....The word "frumpy" comes to mind....

Truth is, I have pretty much bought medium clothing all my life. And it's much easier to just bring in the size M to the dressing room, and assume that however the M fits is the way it's *supposed* to look. Rather than, ya know, "bookending" like I hear I'm supposed to do (i.e., bringing in the S, M, and L....I think?)

It may sound like a lot of additional work, but I am beginning to understand the importance of finding a good fit. I am trying to break myself of the habit of buying too big, with the fear that items will shrink. Because there is nothing I hate more than pants that get too short, sleeves that get too short, sweaters that get too short....and so on....and so forth. Perhaps I should focus on properly caring for my clothing rather than resigning myself to eventual shrinkage. *ZINGA!*

No comments:

Post a Comment