Monday, December 28, 2009

My Fashion Philosophy (or, Why I'll Never Get Rid of My Sports Illustrated Sweatshirt)

It's important that I give you (understood) an accurate representation of what my ..... ahem ..... "style" looks like now. Because then, at the end of this fashion journey, we can all sit in a big circle and pass the tissue box, and smile through our tears saying, "I thought I'd never see the day" and "If she can do it, by golly, so can I!"

Because what's the point in challenging yourself if you don't evaluate your progress? That's what I always say, yessir.

So, for starters, I may or may not live in a sweatshirt just like this one 90% of my waking hours. Slap a pair of jeans on me and my current pair of casual shoes (right now they're Anne Klein loafers), and that's pretty much my standard uniform.

------You know there's a problem when you go to work one night (I used to copy edit at the local newspaper) and you're wearing the same outfit as a co-worker.

Not cringing yet? Did I forget to mention that the co-worker was a 40-year-old man? Oof.------

It's not *totally* my fault, either. Nowadays, I telecommute 3 days a week, so you can see how tempting it may be to sit in my jammies all day, right?

Add in the fact that even when I DO go to the office, it's not exactly the place to show off the latest fashion. I deal in customer service at a small magazine, and well, most of my interaction with customers is in the cyberworld, and my office is pretty empty. How empty, you ask?

Well, let's see, for one, there's my boss.....and the advertising director sits in the office next to mine....and, uh.....well......there's uh....

oh, SHOOT!

I almost forgot to include me, y'all! Number three: me. And, heck, sometimes the UPS man even drops off a package. And, once some kid knocked on the door trying to get me to buy a magazine subscription so he could win a trip to Hawaii or something for his marketing class.....sigh........

So, really, to sum things up, I dress up two times a week for the benefit of a couple of postal clerks, and there's a big half-wall between us, so I don't even think they SEE my lower half. How's that for some style inspiration? Bah, why bother?

And in case you STILL don't pity my style-less predicament, how about this:

You see, my husband and I aren't exactly what you'd call party animals. Most nights we sit on the couch listening to our puppies snore, while he plays Madden on XBOX Live and I (of late) check my blogs and window shop online. Our idea of eating out? Taco Bell. Our regular date? Free 10 am classic movies at our local theatre sponsored by-----wait for it-----a retirement home. And for every Friday night in November, you could find us religiously in the Dunkin Donuts drive-thru getting pumpkin lattes. (That is, until they raised the price from 99 cents to $1.99. Those greedy bastards.)

Wow, I can already tell this blog is enlightening me. Not only are my husband and I anti-social, but apparently, we are also SUPER CHEAP. Yay for us!

So, with no further ado, here is my first fashion post, with absolutely no emphasis on the "fashion," of course:



The Goods:
A free T-shirt from the college where my husband works
My New York & Company lounge pants (I think I have 5 pairs...)
Cozy slipper socks I got for Christmas several years ago from my grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment