Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2010!! (as in twenty-ten....not two-thousand-ten). My mom will smack me if I don't force myself to say the former now. Otherwise, I'll be saying "two-thousand-eighty-six" someday. (::shudder::)

Right now, I'm watching the Rose Parade, which I forget about every year, and then I turn on the TV and say YIPPEE! Because, really, this parade is the only one I like to watch. I prefer to watch the broadcast on HGTV because they focus more on the flowers and what materials they use to make the GORGEOUS floats, but since we don't have cable anymore, I'm watching ABC.

Husband and I spent New Year's Eve at home this year, but we were quite festive. Brad made our favorite meal (thai chicken) with salsa, peanut butter, soy sauce, yummmm. We ate it with some nan and rice.

And I even contributed to the night's delectables! I made pepperoni/provolone Toppers. (If you're interested in the recipe, well.....um, put a slice of pepperoni and a slice of provolone on a Topper. Finis!)

Then, I put on my DJ hat for our "Dance Party." That's right, neither of us very much likes to dance in public, but we can really cut a rug on our own! We danced to Black Eyed Peas, Paula Abdul, Kris Allen (I know I'm not the only person who got "No Boundaries" stuck in my head incessantly after the Idol finale. I HAD to buy it, if only to keep my sanity.), and we ended the night with "When All is Said and Done" off the Mamma Mia soundtrack.

Then, we watched some New Year's Eve movies.

1. The Poseidon Adventure (1972). With Gene Hackman, Shelley Winters, Roddy McDowell, Ernest Borgnine (::deep breath!::), Red Buttons and Grandpa Joe from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory! :)

What does a seafaring disaster movie have to do with New Year's, you ask? Well, the giant tsunami that flips the ship occurs only a few moments after the countdown to the new year!

It helps to keep in mind that Poseidon is one of the earliest films in this now-hackneyed genre, so you can appreciate the assorted characters and their larger purpose in the film. Even still, this film goes a step above the rest in developing back story and with that list of performers?? Those peeps can act.

So well in fact that I will politely ignore that every female character in the film wore hot pants and screamed, cried, or buried their head in the chest of some man whenever things got tough....

2. Holiday (1938). With Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn.

We kind of went blindly into this one, having never heard of it. But we expected to like Cary Grant, and we did, of course.

The film was based on a play, and was pretty straightforward in regard to plot, and you know how these old films always end up with a "happily ever after" that's a bit too neat and tidy. But, the film had some cute details that kept us watching (if not somewhat distractedly)...

Dude, for one, Cary Grant rocks the back flip! And then he rocks it again. And again. And then he rocks it with Katherine Hepburn standing on his shoulders. Yeah, seriously.

*

We finished the night by watching a few minutes of Dick Clark and Ryan Seacrest before the ball dropped in NYC. Gosh, I love Dick Clark. He's such a sweetheart. And he and Ryan are so cute when they work together.

We watched about a minute of the Black Eyed Peas singing "Boom Boom Pow," commented on how they're probably sick to death of singing that song, and then we went to bed.

All in all, a fab New Year. Oh, and did I mention that we dressed up for private dinner and our dance party?



Tivoli boiled wool cardigan (JCrew)
Fushcia jewel-collar dress (Loft-no longer available)
Silver strappy sandals from a few years ago (Loft)
Silver skinny bow belt (Loft)
Grey tights (Loft)

Ack! Snowboarding dogs!!! Gotta run----

No comments:

Post a Comment