Thursday, February 18, 2010

Outfit #15: Simple, yet Seditious




I was in a real "stick-it-to-InStyle" mood for this one! As soon as I read that I was supposed to "keep it simple" with a printed blouse, I went, OH YEAH??? Keep it simple? You think so, InStyle? Well, take THIS!

And I thought I was being SO subversive by picking my old Loft skirt (another reconditioned item in my wardrobe, courtesy of Mom). Why subversive? Because it's got LACE RUFFLES! A lace trim at the bottom. And, hey, how about a BELT?! Yeah, a real big belt, like maybe my Bolton's cheapie in tannish brown.

And then I took the picture and looked at it... and, um, yeah...

I sorta DID keep it simple. And uh...

it sorta WORKED!

So much for my seditious afternoon....

I really like the combo of the taupe skirt and the blue/green ruffle-front buttoned-down J.Crew shirt (from a couple of years ago). And of COURSE I still love my Ann Taylor classic black pumps. :)

I never in A MILLION KAJILLION YEARS would have put this outfit together on my own. I don't really know why. I think I have a real mental block when it comes to skirts. I feel like everything has to be so uptight, whereas this outfit turned out super casual but girly at the same time.

THE SKINNY....

"With a busy blouse, keep other elements, such as jewelry, simple." (InStyle)

Rate of difficulty to replicate: 1 (out of 5)

SUMMARY: This jewelry advice came pretty easily to me, because I always forget about accessories anyway. :) Like I said, this outfit was a completely pleasant surprise for me. The mixture of soft and tough, girly and boyish, really work in an interesting way. And all the colors (though different) GO WITH EACH OTHER! Wow, the power of neutrals right before my very eyes. The lesson I've learned today is that sometimes being rebellious and pushing back can be a good thing...

OVERALL RATING: A

2 comments:

  1. I love this! You look very put-together and stylish. Proving that simple doesn't have to be boring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this one too. I was just thinking how I need patterned tops - very cute!

    ReplyDelete