Thursday, January 28, 2010

Outfit #8: Classics to Casual



I wasn't very happy with this outfit trying stuff on. I tried several blouses, several skirts. ("I changed my shirt 4 times. Can you imagine anyone being that jerky?")

And yet, looking at the comparison now, the outfits look similar. Eerily similar. And similarly boring.

This is another instance where using so-called classics in my closet just doesn't work. Because I don't own said classics. Well, let me rephrase that, I own some pieces, but none of them fits so they sit in my closet and I say to myself, "No, no, no, I already OWN a pencil skirt. I don't need to buy another one." Even though that pencil skirt was purchased several years ago in a size 10, never worn, and still has the threaded X to keep the slit together in the back.

Ooohhhhhhh.....painful.

So for a normal person who, I don't wear, wears classic items appropriately to the office, this might be a neat "Casual Friday" twist. But for me, it's just a little forced, and not so much my style.

Oh, and yeah, I cheated on this one, because if you could actually turn my picture around and see my backside, you would find a neon green Geico chip-clip pulling my skirt together so I could wear it higher on my waist. (Normally, it sits wayyyyy low.) But seriously, it's under the jacket. I COULD TOTALLY USE THE CLIP OUTSIDE OF MY HOUSE AND GET AWAY WITH IT. (Someone, help!)

I'm wearing mostly Loft here: the bomber jacket, the long gold necklace, the green tweed pointed-toe flats, the navy pinstripe pencil skirt, Lisa for Loft ribbon bow bracelet. Oh, but wait, the white buckle-sleeve blouse is from Express. Hah. Branching out.

Oh, and in case you're wondering what the heck my hands are doing in this picture? My husband told me to "pose or something." And this was me saying back to him,

I don't know what I'm supposed t0----(::CLICK::).

Thanks, husband.

THE SKINNY....

"An army jacket, pendant necklace and flats nudge two classics into casual." (InStyle)

Rate of difficulty to replicate: 2 (out of 5)

SUMMARY: ::YAWNNNNN:: I do admit to liking the tough-cookie jacket. You can find similar ones here at Loft and here at Anthro. And not so much this one at WHBM, but I love it, so here it is. InStyle makes a note that the "stretchy black shirt flatters every body, no matter the size or shape." I'd say I could use that magic skirt in my closet, because right now everything is either mini or Little House on the Prairie length. Perhaps my current pencil skirt is up to the task? Add it to my imaginary tailoring list....

OVERALL RATING: C

1 comment:

  1. Meh - that's really similiar to the picture, but I agree, slightly boring (and flats! I scrolled the page down so your feet were cut off when I looked at the picture!) I can't believe you don't have a black skirt, pencil or otherwise. That is absolutely a necessity.

    I forgot to take a picture this morning before I left the house so my mini-flip out at Queen is going to have to be my post of the day until I get home! Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete