Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Neverending Post (or, What Was I Talking About Again?)

The other day, the hubby and I decided to watch The Neverending Story (1984) because (gasp!) he has never seen it before. Not to mention, that he apparently was born a full-sized adult, go figure. The things you learn AFTER you marry someone.

So, anyway, I have to admit that I was pretty shocked at how mature this movie was for being a kid's film. I mean, seriously, you don't try to kill off an entire fantasy world in a kid's film and easily get away with it. And I must have been somewhat of a late bloomer in the intellectual department, because you want to know the only thing that stuck with me over the years amid all the death and dying?

This guy:



Meet Falkor, the friendly giant dragon, who likes to get scratched behind the ears, and who sort of sounds like a creepy baritone pedophile if you're hearing his lines from the kitchen (thanks, husband).

At any rate, a great movie to watch, highly recommended. Much better than The Water Horse, a more recent film (2007) with a lot of the same themes, but with a lot better special effects. And you know what I say to that? Meh.

The Water Horse seemed a little too familiar for our liking. In other words, husband and I kept going "ah, yes" and "oh, I get it" and "hmmm, that's interesting," which USUALLY means that the film had all kinds of good (but obvious) symbolism, and in the end, there was just no spark.

Oh, who am I kidding? There was really just no Rock Biter:



"They look like big strong hands, don't they?" Oof, he rips my heart out, the big lug.

And, because we liked The Neverending Story so much, we got all excited and jumped the gun by watching The Neverending Story TWO (The Next Chapter), which, um, they might as well have just named "The Neverending Story Remade in the US with that kid in all the Teen Beat mags and drained of all its metafantastic ambiguities."

Oh, the horror.

So, anyhoo, where am I going with all this? Ah, yes, the point....

The point....

Well, I kinda started out with one, but I had so much fun going on my tangential film rant that I'm not quite sure where I was going with all this.

But I *think* it may have had something to do with this....



Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment