Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Recreating Anthropologie On a Budget


I've been pining over this outfit since I first saw it, but it's composed of pieces WAY out of my price range. However, I have found a few options that could potentially recreate this look for less than half the $.


THE REAL THANG....

Fancy Foliage Fancy Tee
($58) at Anthropologie
This lace tee comes in white and grey, and appears to be on back-order in white until the end of March. I love the way it's styled UNDER something. But, um, $58 for a tee? I will never be able to do that. Plus, I don't know that I like the *REST* of the tee so much. It's a little *too* unfinished for my taste around the bottom.


THE KNOCKOFF...

a.n.a Lace inset Flutter Sleeve ($14.99) at JCPenney
A little longer sleeve and more traditional lace inset, but I think this top would still serve the purpose under a cute jumper. And I must say that I prefer this version's more "finished" look. Also totally wearable by itself.



THE REAL THANG...

Hold the Lines Jumper ($98) at Anthropologie
This black shift is all about the details with its ruffled bottom and shoulder buttons. The bad news? The reviews are all buzzing about this thing being a lint magnet AND getting easily wrinkled.

THE KNOCKOFF...


Mendoza jumper ($44.99) at Athleta
Although this black jumper has a more-fitted look, it's half the price, and personally I like the shape better than the Anthro version. Be warned that some reviewers say this jumper is a little too short.

THE REAL THANG...

Fireside Cardigan ($98) at Anthropologie
I prefer the look of this cardigan open, rather than tied, so I wasn't too worried about replicating the bow tie in my knockoff, more so finding the right color, weight, and length.

THE KNOCKOFF...


Hooded Toggle Cardigan ($36.90) at Forever 21
Add a hood, pockets, and some toggles and you get the knockoff for a 1/3 of the Anthro price. The sweater still has the cableknit pattern down the front, and the comfy feel of the Anthro cardigan. I wonder if the toggles could be removed if they would end up interfering with the clean lines of the outfit....?

THE REAL THANG...

Glinting Bois Necklace ($178) at Anthropologie
$178......ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY EIGHT DOLLARS! Oof. This necklace looks amazing but it's SO out of my price range. Sigh....

THE KNOCKOFF...


Interwoven Satin Chain Necklace ($6.80) at Forever 21
OK, this one kills me a little. It gives the same look, but a little less "in your face." But, gosh, that Anthro necklace looks like some amazing construction. If the Anthro necklace goes on sale, I admit, I'm at least going to THINK about getting it.

So what do you think? Will it work? Do you have your doubts? Better suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. You definitely did a good job finding workable pieces, I just don't think I'm in love with the original outfit. See that's my problem with "casual wear" - I can do either jeans or work clothes. I don't get this happy medium business.

    ReplyDelete