Friday, March 26, 2010

Real Thang vs. Knockoff (Rings)

I have fallen in love with statement rings lately. Probably because they can be big and cheeky without being all up in my business. If they get noticed, great! But if I'm feeling more demure, I can just stick my hands in my pocket. You can't go wrong with a cool ring. Here are a few more expensive selections from White House Black Market (which I now love!) and their Forever 21 counterparts....

THE REAL THANG...



Crystal/Pave Flower Ring at WHBM ($48)
I don't really like this ring. I'm also not confident about what this looks like because this pic and the pic on the model's finger look strikingly different. One looks really flat, while the other looks shiny as all get-out. 1.75 inch diameter.

THE KNOCKOFF...


Roseanna Flower Ring at Forever 21 ($6.80)
I actually prefer this version to the original because it has a shape rather than just being a nebulous blob on your finger. It is, however, considerably smaller at 1.1 inch diameter.



THE REAL THANG...



White Enamel Flower Ring
at WHBM ($48)
Available to ship April 2. Of all the rings, this is the one that initially caught my eye. Oddly enough, I think the pearl in the middle kind of makes this seem more costumey than the knockoff version...


THE KNOCKOFF...


Lacquered Blossom Ring at Forever 21 ($5.80)
Same diameter as the original (1.5 inches). Not quite as gaudy as the original, but also clearly not as good in the details-department. Trade in the silver for the gold and the middle pearl with a less-obtrusive crystal. I might have to pull the trigger on this one.


THE REAL THANG...


Jet Pave Flower Ring at WHBM ($48)
Ooh sparkly and black. Very chic looking. The diameter is 1.5 inches. I especially like the size as depicted in the model pic.

THE KNOCKOFF...


Grand Flower Ring at Forever 21 ($3.80)
1.3 inch diameter so only slightly smaller than the original. But no crystals/sparkle here; it looks like more of a matte finish. It also suffers from something I'm going to call "smooshed face syndrome" but otherwise the shape looks comparable to the original. This choice comes down to your bling preference, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment