Friday, April 2, 2010

Adieu, Anthro Reviews

One of the many, many things I love about Anthropologie is its inclusion of customer reviews for each item.

It's EXTREMELY helpful to get other people's opinions about fit, fabric and versatility, especially for me since I'm miles and miles away from an actual Anthro store. If I see that everyone's sizing down or that customers are noticing fabric snags in store, I adjust accordingly. Simple as that.

And because I'm so spoiled with all the wonderful Anthropologie bloggers around, my craving for IRL pics is insatiable.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to sort the reviews by ones with pics-only (which I would SO appreciate). So I generally give a helpful vote to any customer who has provided a picture. That way, if someone sorts the reviews by helpfulness, the ones with pics will be easier to find.

So......

(Have you caught on yet that this is the beginning of a rant?!?!
)

.......I was very excited to put up my first picture-review the other day. I addressed many of the comments other reviewers had made about the item, included my own take on their issues, and included PICTURES. I addressed sizing, material, SMELL, color, and so on....

It was my masterpiece.

And me being the obsessive-compulsive that I am, I kept checking back to my review to make sure that my helpfulness was being appropriately appreciated! (Because desperately seeking approval never hurt anybody did it? ::harumph::)

A few days ago, my first vote came in--------------I'm helpful! Yay!

But today----::GASP::-----I have been reduced to only FIFTY PERCENT helpful!

As a result, it is only logical for me to invent an entire backstory for this allegedly "unhelped" soul. (Admittedly, most of my ideas arrive at the same ego-preserving conclusion: that the wrong button was hit...)

I mean, I have NEVER given an unhelpful vote before, and trust me, I have seen some doozies....

OK....

MAYBE I gave an unhelpful vote once. But if I remember it correctly, it was because the person reviewed the wrong item. Which I think warrants a little kick in the seat of the pants, no?

And so do follow me, dear readers, on my infallible path of logic.....

Because APPARently this all means that Ms. Cranky-Pants Customer found my item review about as helpful if I had reviewed the COMPLETELY wrong product. Hmmm...so very encouraging.

So there you have it, folks. My short-lived foray into Anthropologie customer reviews has come to a close. I just don't think I can handle the pressure, peeps! ....And with that, my first unhelpful vote shall be my last. Sigh...

It's funny that I am completely willing to air my neuroses for the entire blogging world to potentially see. But that I let myself be so easily discouraged by negative feedback. Perhaps---after years of writing in diaries where no one judged me but myself---I am not so well-equipped to handle other people's evaluations...

....Or maybe.....

*Someone*

just hit the wrong button....

::wink, wink::

3 comments:

  1. Okay this was hysterical! I get unhelpful reviews on the Anthro site sometimes too - I think people sometimes do it if you give a bad review to something they like and they are bitter. You should do more reviews though (and then promptly forget about them) because they are helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I know how you feel! You put a lot of work into something and then it's seemingly unappreciated. But you know, it probably IS appreciated. Before buying something I always read EVERY review if I can and I pay attention to what each person says, not what they've been rated. So you're an unsung hero to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks ladies. After a good night's sleep, I admit I am slightly less perturbed. lol.

    Kathleen---I agree, I think the helpfulness votes are often tainted by emotion!

    Lady Cardigan---You're right! Now that I think about it, if I am interested in an item, I read through each and every review regardless of its votes or nonvotes.

    Thanks again for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete