Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Anthropologie Fitting-Room Reviews: Part One

Welcome to all you readers who found my blog through my guest post over at Princess of Taylor! If you missed it, click here to see a bunch more of my Anthro reviews there. 

For the rest of us, let's dig right in, shall we?


The Marblehead Tank ($39.95) has been a squatter on my wishlist for what seems like forever! When I found it in the store on Saturday hidden on a low-to-the-ground shelf (what’s up with that?), I hurriedly grabbed it and added it to my huge pile of fitting-room tops. Unfortunately, once I put it on, I was more bemused than enthralled.

The fit was altogether wonky. I sized down to a Small, thinking that I’d want a fit closer to the body, but I had imagined the pretty swirls on the chest would actually be on the chest. Instead, the pattern sat awkwardly a few inches *above* my chest. The straps were also way close together, so you’d need to wear a strapless bra. I kept thinking that maybe it was just too small. Should I have tried my regular size Medium? Unfortunately, I don’t think that would help because (as you can tell from the side view) that black swath of fabric in the middle poufs out from the body in a very unflattering way. In other words, this is a total FAIL. Even though this went on sale Tuesday, this will not be finding a home in my closet. Ever. L


The Peppered & Striped Skirt ($128) has also been rollin’ with the homeys in my wishlist. I love that longer, full skirts are back in style this season, and the yellow/grey combo of this skirt are a great neutral with a twist. The waistband is really pretty, but I didn’t get a picture of that, oops! This is my normal skirt size 6, but I might size up to an 8 so that it’s not so high-waisted. But the 6 fit and all, so it’s just a matter of preference. Be sure to check the hook at the top of the zipper, though: Mine got bent and twisted so that it took me 5 minutes to get the dang thing off. I can’t bring myself to pay over a hundred dollars for a skirt, so this must wait for a sale. I paired the skirt with the  Headwaters Tee ($58) in red, another one waiting for sale, but that I’d be more willing to fork over full-price bucks for.


It’s the Southward Stop Shirtdress ($128)! So many bloggers have already posted reviews about this dress, that I’ll just add my love to the mix. I tried on my regular size 6. The fabric is super soft. The color (my biggest apprehension) did not wash me out that bad. And there’s an extra hidden hook about halfway down the front to help prevent pulling around the buttons. Nice! As my sister mentioned in her review, there are some really pretty pops of color in the pattern to give it a little kick. If this goes on sale, I might cave and get this one.


The Ha’Penny Cardigan ($128) looks so versatile in the product pics! But IRL, it just seemed like a whole lot of fussy fabric. I sized down to a Small, which was a smart move. But it still felt a little overwhelming on me. I had so many other things in the fitting room to try on that I was clearly not interested in fiddling with this to make it work. I’ve been looking for a good tan/neutral-colored sweater for a while, and now I’m thinking that maybe I should have given this one a better shot. If this got a second cut, I might try again, but I just purchased two long cardigans from Banana Republic so….let’s move on.

Well that wraps up this edition of Anthropologie fitting room reviews. I still have a bunch more that I will continue to post this week. In the meantime, Happy Shopping!

4 comments:

  1. thanks for the great reviews. Also, I think those little red ballet flats you're wearing in your reviews are just darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks, Lori! The flats are from American Eagle, and I love em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Peppered Skirt, but what the heck with all these expensive skirts this fall? I can entire get the entire man deer/bird dress or a skirt for $128? Not cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathleen, I agree---Anthro prices are slowly rising up into the stratosphere! I think they might be catching onto those of us with the "wait-for-sale" mentality and thereby adjusting...

    ReplyDelete