Thursday, September 16, 2010

Anthropologie Fitting-Room Reviews: Part Deux

As promised, more Anthro reviews. Three nice dresses, and a lily top thrown in to keep things lively.

Is it just me or do I look like I'm about to do the march of the tin soldiers? Hmm?
First up, is the Magnifying Glass Dress ($69.95). My mom bought this a few weeks ago, and she looks ADORABLE in it. She wore it to the Liza Minnelli show last week and topped it with a black ruffle blazer from The Limited that I'm also loving. I thought I'd try this dress on for comparison's sake, but the grey did nothing for my skin tone (Whereas my mom is part Lebanese, my dad is part Irish. So, I freckle and sunburn and have really thick hair. Thanks, guys! :P) Otherwise, the shape was nice in my regular size 6.
Next up is the Sugar-Coated Shirtdress ($128). I'm pretty sure I tried on a 6 here, and the sleeves were sort of tight, but I don't think I could size up to an 8 because the rest of the dress fit. As many product reviews have mentioned, the sash is a pretty color, but it's not very functional. And am I only person who's depressed that the colors are different from the product pic? I think it's pretty IRL, but I loved the vintage, almost drab look of the styled version. For me, the picture reminded me of something that could be worn by Stella in A Streetcar Named Desire. Even still, the fall colors are a nice change of pace from all my blue clothes, so I might consider this on sale.
The Next Year’s Lily Top ($58) is now sitting in my bedroom, introducing itself to all my other clothes and pretending to ignore all the jealous smirks. I mean, seriously, how pretty is that neckline? I sized down to a Small in this, and it fit perfectly. The gathering at the waist hides any bumps or lumps and drapes beautifully, and the fabric is sooo soft. The long length is great, too.  And at $58? This shirt is practically a steal compared to its razor-thin (read: see-through) cousins at Anthro. This was love at first sight, and I can't wait to wear this ASAP.
I remember falling in love with the Count the Waves Dress ($148) the millisecond I saw the product pic from the June 2010 catalog. Unfortunately, that beige color up close to my face seems to make me disappear. The ruffles and buttons are cute, but, I don't know, just imagine if this top part came in blue? Or a pretty mauve? THAT would be love, dears. The fit was good in a 6. The top portion was soft, and the bottom was stiffer.

All in all, these three dresses were quite pretty. But aren't ALL of Anthropologie's dresses "pretty"? That's kind of the rationale for why we shop there! In this post, I constantly found myself blaming colors, and I think maybe that's just my way of saying, "This dress was pretty, but it just didn't have that amazing spark." Does that make sense? I hope so!

I have one more round of reviews to put up this week, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I never noticed that the coloring on the Sugar-Coated Shirtdress was different in the product picture. You are just too observant for your own good! LOL And I love the lilies top - so pretty and too funny about all your other clothes being jealous! LOL

    ReplyDelete