Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Out and About: I Spy Anthropologie

I've got Anthro-colored glasses lately. Everytime I turn around, I'm running into Anthropologie...and I love it!  Well, sometimes. On the one hand, it's neat to see other people appreciating Anthro, but I alternatively love guarding the Anthro secret with my life. I mean, we like Anthro because it's unique! The more we see it in the real world, the less "unique" it becomes.

The blog goldenmeans always does a great roundup of Anthro sightings on TV. (In fact, she's currently rockin' the nominations for the Anthropologie Blogging Collective's 2010 Blog Awards for said feature...) Though my sightings are far less worthy in comparison, I thought I'd share a few of my own sightings around town (the good and the bad!). Enjoy---


1. Stretching Sprigs Cardigan in a Vonage TV commerical
It's not a particularly funny ad or anything, so I doubt that it will ever make it to YouTube, but I swear I screamed "That's my sweater!" the second I saw it.  But the size Large has been sold out online for a while already. Thanks for rubbing it in, Vonage.... 

The woman wears it over a bright blue dress, which I kind of like, but it also seemed much more generic than I would expect out of an Anthropologie piece. Husband also commented that he thought it looked way too small on her. (Glad I didn't settle for that Medium!)


9/28/10 10:00 PM UPDATE: I forgot I have DVR now! :) So I took a few screen shots of the Vonage ad. And actually, seeing it again makes me realize I think this woman looks absolutely adorable! Funny how your memory can play tricks on you sometimes...



2. Man Shops Globe on the Sundance Channel
This isn't exactly what you'd call "new news," but, hey, gimme a break, I just got Dish Network, remember? 

This reality TV show follows Anthropologie buyer Keith Johnson as he travels around the world looking for unique home items. A show about my favorite store ever? Yes, please! It's interesting to see these items in their natural habitats. Whereas a crazy bird statue may seem strange perched on the shelves of Anthro, a woman's workshop full of knome figurines seems eccentric and inspired in her Swedish home. 

The show is currently in its second season, so I still have quite a few Season 1 episodes to get caught up on. Netflix has the Season 1 DVD listed (but unavailable), so maybe it will be available soon! Cross your fingers. :)

3. "The Frown Song" by Ben Folds


NOTE: You may want to skip this one if you don't want to hear about a potential bad side of Anthropologie!


First, let me say that Husband and I love Ben Folds. Husband saw him in concert before we met, and even got him to autograph a CD booklet! Husband also spent the first three months of our courtship sending me Ben Folds songs via AIM and asking for my opinion. (Apparently I passed!) We played "The Luckiest" at our wedding as we lit our unity candle. So it was with mixed emotions that I recently listened to the words of his "Frown Song" (2008) and his not-so-nice mention of Anthropologie:




Tread slowly from the car to the spa
Like a weary war-torn refugee
Crossing the border with your starving child
It’s a struggle just to get to shiatsu

Present the waitress with your allergy card
And tell her all your problems
And leave no tip at all
Down to the shoe store with your friends
Speculate who might be f---ing the guru

Rock on, rock on, with your fashionable frown
Rock on, rock on, spread the love around
Rock on, rock on, with your fashionable frown
Spread the love around

Do you remember how we managed before
We could afford real nervous breakdowns
Or before the Anthropologie store
Was erected on Indian burial grounds

So really don’t you see a little of yourself
In the bathroom attendant that you just scowled at
Or the child who’s hiding inside
As you wipe the smile off the teenage barista

[Chorus]

All right

You’re gonna be all right, baby
You’re gonna be all right, baby

Floating back from the spa to the car
A state of bliss, and it wasn’t the steam room
Sometimes life’s not so bad
Now we know who’s been f---ing the guru


Ouch. 


I explained to Husband that Ben Folds probably just used "Anthropologie" because it has such a poetic name. Yes? Maybe? Please? Oh, well....


In the context of the whole song, it sounds like Folds is criticizing privileged, egocentric people who are unable to connect to people who are really struggling. And I guess the specific allusion to Anthropologie could be a comment on "Western" domination over other cultures, which certainly involves some egoism. Maybe Folds thinks that Anthropologie usurps the creativity of real artists and assimilates them into its capitalistic framework? (That's like a $10 sentence if I ever saw one....) I don't really know enough about corporate Anthropologie to have an educated opinion, but after watching Man Shops Globe, I guess I can see that interpretation. 


Or maybe Folds is targeting the people who shop at Anthropologie. Gasp! I admit that Anthropologie has nurtured a capitalistic fervor in me that I've never known before. And as much fun as "Monday sale nights" and "stalking" products are, these behaviors do require some self-involved tunnel vision. 


Like I said, I don't have the knowledge to either back up these claims or dispute them, but they are interesting to consider. 


4. Feathered Perch Skirt in October issue of InStyle






pg. 193 InStyle Magazine, October 2010.

I admit that I was a little disappointed when I saw this Anthro skirt in my magazine. My hopes of getting a first (or even second) cut for this skirt become much smaller when the rest of the world has the scoop. (Because clearly, the ENTIRE WORLD reads InStyle!! :P) 


The good news is that I love the color complements suggested by stylist Rob Zangardi: peach, lilac, white. And pairing this long navy skirt with a tucked-in cashmere tee? Love!

5 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about your "sightings"- thanks for sharing! Folds probably chose anthropologie for poetry's sake as well as the meaning of the word spelled with a "y" to connect it to the burial grounds. Whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh, how embarrassing... i forgot anthropology was even a word....i've been brainwashed! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks for the shoutout, and these are some great "sightings" - although the Ben Folds one makes me want to smack 'em on top of the head! I think he probably chose it for the sake of meter, but still, grrr!

    I like the Feathered Perch skirt, but I would definitely not buy it until it went on a 2nd cut! Will InStyle make that impossible? Maybe, although them labeling it a "Polyester Rayon Skirt" (lol, the reason I refuse to pay full price) probably will tempt people a little less! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa nice spot on the vonage commercial!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, ladies! And LOL about "polyester rayon skirt"! it does sound ghastly, doesn't it? lol.

    ReplyDelete