Sunday, September 12, 2010

Outfit of the Day: Arribada Current Dress (and Liza Minnelli)

What an exciting night! On Friday, my parents, Husband, and I went to see Liza Minnelli perform with our local symphony orchestra. Going in, I had limited knowledge of Minnelli's career aside from a few guest appearances on TV, her musical theatre background, and her illustrious lineage (she's the daughter of director Vincente Minnelli and actress Judy Garland). So I wasn't exactly sure what to expect.

Well, I would liken it to a one-woman musical revue. Some music, some lights, some scenes. Right away, she burst onto the stage like a fireball, and she maintained an energy throughout the show that would be admirable for any performer, let alone a sixty-four-year-old! She sang some songs from Cabaret and Chicago; she told some stories about Uncle Frank (Sinatra), and how she persuaded director/choreographer Bob Fosse to let her stand in for Gwen Verdon for five weeks in Chicago; she sang some old standards from her parents' films. She apparently has a new album out this month, Confession, with jazz standards in collaboration with her long-time pianist Billy Stritch (who was also present, and whose smooth voice was a fantastic complement to Liza's brassiness).

For the special night, I had planned on wearing my new Express dress. In fact, I got completely dressed and presented myself to Husband for approval. Unfortunately, he thought that I *really* wanted his opinion, and he said he didn't like the Circle Game belt added. His exact words?

"I just don't like belts that don't go through belt loops."

With a hefty harumph, I went back into the bedroom and completely changed into my Arribada Current Dress, that I haven't had a chance to wear yet. It was pretty low-cut so I wasn't brave enough to wear it on its own (I added a navy lace cami from LOFT). And my Ann Taylor Perfect Leather Pumps. Overall, I was very happy, so it worked out OK, but that doesn't mean Husband will ever get a say in my clothing picks every again!!



3 comments:

  1. The color of that dress is so gorgeous! I regret not buying this a few months back. You look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I remember that dress from a while ago. I didn't even know you bought it! GLad you finally got to wear it and that the show was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chrissy-aww thanks! That's so sweet!

    Kathleen-yeah, it's been hanging in my closet forever! I got it right when it went on sale. lol.

    ReplyDelete