Friday, October 15, 2010

OOTD: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Three or four months ago, I borrowed my parents' step-ladder to put away our Christmas decorations in our teensy-weensy attic. (Yes, putting away Christmas decorations....Don't try to do the math. It will only cause me further embarrassment!)

The ladder has been sitting in the doorway of our "catch-all" second-bedroom ever since.

Then my dad asked me last week if we still had the ladder because he wanted to do some yard work. "SURE!" I said. And he came to pick it up a few days later.

How was I supposed to remember that all the Halloween decorations were STILL IN THE ATTIC!?

Oops.

So he came back over with the ladder yesterday to help me bring the boxes down. But when I climbed up to take a look in our attic, all I saw were boxes and boxes of Christmas stuff. "I'm too short," I told my dad. So he went up on the ladder to see what he could see. In the meantime, I opened up our hall closet and gasped.

There was my bag of Halloween decorations on the floor!

Double oops!

I felt so bad about the whole mess, that I offered to buy lunch for my dad---who I found out sometimes reads my blog (HI DAD!). The good news is that I found all the Halloween stuff that I bought last year on November 1 at 75% off at Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics (the day after: it's the only way to shop for holiday decor!!)

My husband was abnormally motivated when he got home yesterday and even helped me decorate outside! I had two foam headstones that say "RIP," and he glued wooden stakes onto the backs so we could secure them in the ground. Then he strung some orange Halloween lights on the lamppost and front window. Meanwhile, I glued together my "Mr. Bones" foam skeleton and taped it to our front door.

The only problem is that it all still seems a little sparse. "Sparse," as in I'm afraid that the neighbors are just going to think that we randomly buried two bodies in our front yard "sparse." While we were out driving, I saw a cute front-yard setup with a scarecrow, some potted flowers, pumpkins, and hay bales. So....those are now my top shopping priority. Clothes? Who cares about clothes? ::wink, wink::

Onto the outfit. And if you look closely, you can see some of my "sparse" holiday decorations. Creepy, huh?


This is my Limited yellow trench coat that I have been kind of scared to wear because it's so bright. But I think my new Free People black Cable Beanie retains my aura of mystery.... Am I a moody hipster? Or am I a sunny prepster? The world may never know.

I wore my new LOFT Striped Sweater with Corsage underneath, some old LOFT boot-cut dark-wash jeans and my Seychelles Ritas. 

In the next seven days, I will be teaching nine aerobics classes, so I may be fairly out of commission for a while (as in, I will be wearing lounge pants in bed every waking second that I'm not at the gym!). But I've been so proud of myself lately for getting dressed up that I want to keep trying as much as possible. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. OMG I laughed so hard at your sparse comment! I read it to Husband and could barely get through it without laughing!

    I totally love that trench and the top too! I definitely need a striped top this fall (oooh and then maybe I can dress as Roger at Wembley 1986 for Halloween! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot you bought the yellow trench- it looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! And LOL Kathleen--you totally should be Roger for Halloween. That would be spectacular!!

    ReplyDelete