Monday, November 22, 2010

OOTD: Pattern Trickster

Only three days till Thanksgiving. Hooray! I hope my sister makes her delicious sweet potato pie (*hint, hint*). Normally she has to make two whole batches because between me and her Husband, that stuff goes quick!

Sadly, I'm not much of a cook myself. But a few years ago, I volunteered to make the mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving dinner. (InStyle magazine had an interesting-looking recipe by Katie Lee, ex-Top Chef host, ex-wife of Billy Joel, and EX-cellent cook, I must say...) But did you know that scallions and shallots are not the same thing?

NEITHER DID I!

Unfortunately, I didn't learn this tidbit until *after* I tried to slice and caramelize the scallions. Yummmm....burnt onions. After a quick trip to the grocery store to rectify my ingredient mishap and cooking attempt #2, the mashed potatoes with caramelized shallots were a success. Well, at least, I thought so.

I offered to make the mashed potatoes again this year, and Grandma said we'd just make instant... :)


Ann Taylor black cashmere v-neck sweater, Muted Garden Henley, Charlotte Russe skirt, Anne Klein Ladell boots, Gap thigh-high socks

Today, I was a little apprehensive about wearing my new Gap thigh-high cable socks, but I just kept telling myself that if I was confident then everyone would think they looked cool! I started out with my hair in a braid, but decided that might look too "school-girl," so I spent the rest of the car ride to the mall trying to muss my hair up. In case you were wondering, I did end up getting my PA at The Limited for my new vest, so I am quite pleased with them now!

My mom told me today that I did a good job mixing patterns because my mauve henley and taupe skirt don't actually go together at all but I tricked people into thinking they do! (Or something to that effect....) LOL.

2 comments:

  1. HA Husband literally just asked me about the sweet potato pie too! LOL

    I like this outfit, but the over the knee socks look a bit like tights! Can you slouch them a bit or wear the skirt a bit higher?

    And yay for The Limited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! that is my problem with these socks, too....i didn't want the skirt to be too scandalously short, but the socks are thick cable, so I when I tried to wear them shorter, they seemed bulky and bunchy. Meh! I'll have to keep experimenting...

    ReplyDelete