Wednesday, December 1, 2010

OOTD: Rectangular Me

Today I had an epiphany.

I very much wanted to wear my Safekeeping Capelet to work, but I still haven't figured out how to make it look proportionately pleasing on my rectangular frame.

Because in all my Internet research on body shapes, sometimes I find discrepancies about what I should wear and what I should avoid. For instance, empire waist tops. Good for enhancing my bust? Or bad for being flowy around my midsection? Or pencil skirts. Good for enhancing my hips? Or bad for emphasizing my long, straight lines?

Unfortunately, the one thing *everyone* agrees on is that I should avoid tops that end right at my waist. No good can come of them for a short-waisted, rectangular girl like me. After I took my pictures today and scanned through them, the rationale of this caveat suddenly became clear.....

When you don't have a defined waist----the last thing you want to do is direct the viewer's eye to your nonexistent waist. (...somewhere, a light bulb turns on....)

(Acting Out Skirt, black tights, Anne Klein Ladell boots, Gap grey crew socks,
Safekeeping Capelet (on sale!), LOFT old green sweater)
It's a real bummer to be told that you can't wear a certain style just because of your body shape. I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances-----my being a better stylist, for one-----that could help mitigate the badness, but for now I just have to cry.

::CRY!::

I want to wear my capelet all the time, but I also want to look my best! Any suggestions? What about shorts? Or maybe an A-line skirt? Should it be high-waisted? Or low-rise? Help!

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm gratuitously self-loathing or anything. It's just that I really want to "understand" fashion. I see so many bloggers who look nice. Every. Post. How do they do it? It seems like they have figured out their personal style and what makes them look the best and feel the best. If you saunter through my old posts, you quickly see that I have a fashion identity crisis, to say the least.

It's partly because my job dress code is nonexistent. And it's partly because my day-to-day life has little continuity so it's hard to find a style groove. And it's partly because I went to private school in high school and wore a uniform every day.

Enough ranting! Let's just say that I hope this epiphany really sinks in so that I can better understand my closet and my body better. :)

3 comments:

  1. I like what you did here. And I don't think you need to worry so much about the fashion "rules". It's not like you weigh 500 pounds or anything and have to mask horrible disfigurement. If you love the cape, wear it however you are comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, rules schmules. I wears what I like- and that sweater is super cute! You could wear it with a longer top underneath, something slightly fitted to elongate the sweater. I'm short-waisted, so that's what I usually try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks ladies! i do often get wrapped up in following rules (when you don't know what you're doing, it's easier to make someone else tell you what's right/wrong! blegh) I will keep experimenting--- and thatdamngreendress, I think you're right about something longer underneath; I'll check my closet :)

    ReplyDelete