Sunday, February 27, 2011

2011 Oscar Awards: My Favorite Dresses

I only watched a few moments here and there of the Oscars, but I'm thinking that I must have been born in the wrong generation...

Because I much more enjoyed the "old Hollywood" presenters like Kirk Douglas and Billy Crystal than all the hipster presenters who seem so self-absorbed and, I don't know, ugh. In fact, I found most of the behind-the-scenes, lesser-known winners to be endearing and witty just the same (kind of what I wish the "stars" were more like sometimes....) I just read an article that apparently the Oscar producers basically discouraged nominees from reciting long lists of names in their thank-you speeches. I guess it worked, because they've all been quite good.

I thought the contrast of Jeff Bridges's making all the best actress nominees crying and Sandra Bullock's roasting all the best actor nominees was well played out and entertaining. A little obvious, maybe---Let's make all the ladies cry!---but I was glad to see some of the men tear up a little, too.

But, anyway, onto the fashion. Did anyone else feel like Reese Witherspoon was totally channeling Julia Roberts in her 2001 Valentino gown when she won the Oscar for Erin Brokovich? Just sayin'...

Photo Credit

Gwyneth Paltrow looked sleek and shiny in her Calvin Klein gown. I especially liked the unexpected deep, skinny V neckline. When most stars tend to think "more is more" when it comes to decolletage, it's nice to see a starlet think outside of the box when it comes to sexy elegance.
Photo Credit

 The pale lavender color and lacy delicacy of Mila Kunis's dress was breathtaking. She looked quite stunning, and it's no surprise that she seems to be the media's darling so far for Oscar red-carpet coverage. Her picture is everywhere! Great dress, Mila.
Photo Credit

I loved the necklines of Melissa Leo's and Hailee Stenfeld's dresses during the TV coverage, but I wasn't wowed by their dresses from the bust down OR how they photographed. 

I also loved the colors of the dresses worn by Natalie Portman (purple) and Jennifer Hudson (orange), but I wasn't in love with the dresses themselves. Pregnancy dresses are kind of shapeless by definition (though the wide v-neck was quite flattering), and Jennifer's dress just seemed a little too in-your-face with the, ahem, you know.

So, there you have it. That's all I've got. Congrats to all the winners, and must say I'm very excited to see The King's Speech!

No comments:

Post a Comment